Pages

50 Reasons to Go Green with Reusable Shopping Bags

Monday, July 28, 2008

I really hate plastic bags. I really do. I hate how people just toss them out and they get stuck into trees. They look terrible on the landscape. I hate how people rely on those bags like they're going out of style. If there is any time to make the switch, it is now. Squawkfox has 50 good reasons why you should make the switch.

1.Consumer Cost. At 5 cents a bag in many North American shops, the bucks add up! Ireland pays a hefty 15 cents per bag Plastax tax. Buying a bin or reusable bag can save you hundreds over the years. While keeping costs down is a concern for many, there are more pressing plastic matters at stake!

12.Recycling not financially feasible. Apparently, only 1 to 3 percent of plastic bags are recycled. It costs a whopping $4,000 to process and recycle 1 ton of plastic bags, which can then be sold for a meager $32. This business model is a financial failure.

50 Reasons to Go Green with Reusable Shopping Bags

5 comments:

Healingstones said...

Have you heard what the Irish call those plastic bags caught up in trees? 'Witches' knickers' (!)

I carry a sturdy reusable plastic bag in my purse always for any incidental purchases. And I have found a place that sells ultra light nylon bags for use in supermarkets (instead of those flimsy plastic horrors they give you for your fruit and veg). I know that yes these bags are plastic - but the point is I can reuse them many many times. I can give you the link to where you can get hold of them if you wish.

Hecate RavenMoon said...

Blessed be. You have a pretty great blog going. I like the profile picture from 'Charmed' of Prue stirring the vanquishing potion and mumbling 'I feel like I should be cackling'.

Anyway, keep up the good work on the blog.

Hecate RavenMoon said...

Hey. This was a very interesting and informative article, thank you for sharing it.

I know I am going to make the switch.

Thanks again.

Blessed be.

Ren said...

Thanks for posting this.. I'll pass it around..
*I'm a big fan of the canvas bags myself*

Hex..

Brook said...

I love my reusable bags. I have quite a few from various stores and I am actually remembering to bring them with me to the store now! I have them stored in my trunk. That way I have no excuse for not using them!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS