Pages

A Witch on a Budget

Thursday, May 21, 2009

I've wanted to write a post for a long time about how to save money while actively practicing magick. I've picked up a lot of tips over the years and want to pass them on. Everyone could stand to save a little money, especially during these trying times.

1. Buy Books Used - Who says you have to buy your books brand new? That certainly is not the case. I used to buy many of my books new for several years but I realized that I was just wasting too much money. I've started buying books used from Amazon and have saved myself quite a bit of money over the years.

2. Don't buy expensive, fancy candles - You don't need those candles. I've found some of the best candles at local dollar stores. You don't need to buy fancy, charged candles. You can do it yourself and save yourself quite a bit of money.

3. Make your own tools, or buy them used - Fancy tools are not needed to practice magick. You can buy tools from thrift stores, dollar stores, or better yet, why not make your own tools? Wands can be carved from sticks, flat stones can be used for altar tiles, etc. Get creative! Don't spend money on something you don't have to, if you don't want to.

4. Save old candles, melt them down and make new ones - Unless you feel strongly about reusing candles or if spells call for burying candle remains, do so. However, you can save small pieces of candles and pick a time during the year (a Sabbat) and make it part of your celebration activities to make new candles from old candles.

5. Don't buy fancy altars - You don't need them. Of course, if you wish to have a fancy altar, you are welcome to buy one, but in reality, you do not need it. You can use a dresser, a trunk or even a cardboard box for an altar and you do not need to spend a thing. Not to mention, if you are creative, you can buy some wood and make it yourself.

6. Think outside the box - Find new ways to use what you already have. If you have a statue of a woman that you think resembles the Goddess, use it on your altar. If you have glass jars that are collecting dust, use them as candle holders, herb storage, etc.

7. Don't throw anything away -- unless you know you cannot use it - If I have candles around the house that come in their own candle holders, I never throw the holders away. I place the holder in the freezer for awhile so the wax will fall out. Then, I save the holder so I can reuse it later to hold other candles. I have many candle holders now that are all shapes and sizes and I've found a use for every one of them.

8. Always look for sales - If I'm shopping and see candles on sale, or incense on sale that I know I will use, if I can afford it, then I buy what I can. You'll have great luck buying colored candles during certain holidays such as after Christmas and Halloween when everything goes on sale. Don't be afraid to shop those special isles for what you need!

9. Keep regular stock of what you have - Every month or so, go through what you have and make notes of what you don't have. Or, if you're a really organized person, keep a running of list of your magickal supplies where you store them. Cross off items as you use them so you can easily tell what you have later. This prevents constant running to get new supplies and spending money that you didn't need to spend.

10. Delegate a special time to restock your magickal cabinet - I know some witches pick a season or a sabbat to restock. If you do this once a year, you're helping prevent yourself from splurging and buying unnecessary items. If you keep a regular schedule, eventually you'll get so used to buying items during that time, it will almost be like a holiday itself.


I hope these tips help you save money and enlighten your practice!

No comments:

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS