Pages

How to Make Plarn

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It's currently snowing here in good ole West Virginia so we've stayed in all evening. I've had a  bag of plastic bags sitting on my table for several weeks now that were meant to go to work with me. I use a lot of plastic bags at work, but I've already got too many to handle. I've been crocheting for a few months now and often thought about using those plastic bags to try my hand at making plarn, or rather plastic yarn. It's a great way to recycle, it's cheap and frugal and plarn can be used to make place mats, rugs, and bags.

Since it's been snowing lately and the ground is wet, I hate tracking around my place in wet shoes. I decided that I could just make a plarn rug to place our shoes on. So I set to work this evening cutting up some of the bags and tying them up to make the yarn. I've only finished a few rows so far and it's a bit harder to crochet with but I like the progress I've made. If only I can continue to keep up with it so I can finish it before Winter ends.

So if you're like me and tend to collect a lot of plastic bags, and can crochet, even just a few simple stitches this will be something great to do that can be used around the house.

Here's a pretty good video on making plarn if you're interested!

How to Make Plarn

1 comment:

Mother's Moon's Message said...

interesting... a great idea for a mat when the snow or rains are about.... will have to check it out.

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS